Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Heather!


So, now I can say that I am actually "in my thirties." No longer considered "just thirty" or even "early thirties", but turning 33, I feel, seems to come with a sort of acceptance into the "I'm-no-longer-just-a-kid-pretending-to-be-an-adult" club. Of course, that's just me fooling myself into believing that I will ever actually qualify as a real adult, but at least I don't feel like I'm forced to endure the condescending advice of those whose "mid-thirties" have granted them so much more experience. I certainly don't feel like I'm much older than my "late twenties", but if having another birthday seems to grant me a little more substance in the adult world, I'll accept that additional birthday candle with pride. And who knows, maybe in a few years I, too, can offer all the condescending advice of an experienced "mid-thirties."

Okay, enough waxing philosophic about my birthday, here's how I spent my fun-filled weekend!

Since Valentine's Day falls just 4 days before my big day, I consider V-day as my birthday kickoff. Since I'm way too practical to allow Jon to buy me the "typical" Valentine's Day gifts (flowers are always grossly overpriced and who wants to work off a whole box of chocolates?), Jon has found other ways to woo me, always to my delight. This year, I came home to find my bed covered with hearts and love notes--a perfect Valentine's Day treat. (Of course, Jon also had a love note from me, as well.)

On Satuday night, Jon and I celebrated a combined V-day/Birthday date night by going to dinner at a new place to us, Boston's gourmet pizza, and then enjoying one of our favorite activites--wandering the Chandler Mall and sampling some yummy treats. Saturday was about sharing a Cinnabon and a double chocolate chip iced creme from Starbucks. Delicious, but I did end up with a slight tummy ache by the end. Monday, my actual birthday, Jon and I went to the temple in the morning and then had a big party at the park with friends and family where we enjoyed chinese chicken salad, french bread, and Girl Scout cookies. An eclectic mix, I know, but it all tasted great and it was just fun to sit and hang out while we let the kids go crazy at the park (i.e. not bothering the parents--a main consideration in choosing our park location.) To top off the night, my sister Mel was calling as we walked in the door from the park, thwarting my plans to go to the gym, but ending the night on a high note. All in all, it was a fun weekend that passed way too quickly.

Happy Valentine's Day to you all! Hope it was filled with all the love you can handle!

1 comment:

Mocktalk said...

Heather,
I totally relate!! I remember turning 33 - and I'm scared of turning 34 (trust me those mid thirties don't know as much as they think they do). Happy Birthday just the same. And congratulations on your 10k, I think you are an inspiration.
Jim