Saturday, March 14, 2009

Two Causes/ Two Runs



This year, Jon and I both participated this year in London's Run at Schnepf Farms to support Pediatric Cancer (January 31st) and in the 2 Sisters/1 Heart Run (February 14th) benefiting 2-year old conjoined Bailey twins.

London's Run was super fun because the entire Atkinson family joined us--Mom and Dad; Kristin, Greg, and Emily Moon; and of course, Rebekah and Derek. I ran the 10K with Becky Kleen, who helped keep me motivated enough to beat my time from last year (1 hour 4 min compared to 1 hour 5 min last year!), while Jon and the Atkinson clan, who were all running it for the first time, ran the 2 mile fun run. After the run was over, we headed over to the Roses for some of Bro. Atkinson's famous whole wheat pancakes--mmmmmm..... What a fun morning!

Then, 2 weeks later, we both did the 5K 2 Sisters/1 Heart Run at Walker Butte Elementary. Half our ward showed up to support this run since a lot of people know the Bailey family, and our friend Jamie Kieta was actually one of the organizers. It was GREAT! Not only was the run super fun (except that my MP3 player died on the last mile! I hate running without music!), but they had a ton of fun activities in addition to the run, including a little train and a petting zoo for the kids. My time on the run wasn't my best (33 minutes), but I still had a great time running and I wasn't too tired to enjoy all the other activities afterward--or my fun Valentine's date with Jon later. =)

Both Jon and I love doing these runs, other than the fact that my knees swell up to the size of an elephant's when I do. I did get new shoes before the 2 Sisters run (my belated Christmas present from Jon), and that did help. I don't get elephant knees when I just run on my own--maybe it's the stress of wanting to beat my time when I do timed or competition runs. But I still love them, so I guess I'll just have to put up with the swollen knees a couple times a year. It's all worth it!

1 comment:

Mocktalk said...

Heather, good for you and Jon. I'm impressed you did a 10k - wow! You're inspiration is making me want to do a 5k, especially since I can't claim to be any busier than you.