Monday, April 14, 2008

It's Good to Be Me

Happy 30th Birthday to Hil! I'm sure Hil will post all the juicy details of her party-filled week, so I'll let you read her blog for all that. But I have to admit, it's nice to no longer be the only girl in our group over 30. It's weird, but even though I'm 3 years older than most of the girls in the group (and substantially older than some of the others!), I've always just considered myself the same age as all of them (even the 26-year olds.) Could that be because I have younger children than most of them, or because I got married later than most of them? I don't know. Maybe it's because I still find myself learning from all of them so much that it's hard to consider myself older than them. I know...it's simply my eternal youth that makes my age seem so insubstantial. =) Yeah, right. If only that were the case!

Well, whatever it is, I love my age, my friends, and my life in general. As I sit here writing this with my sweet Sarah on my lap, who is alternately giving me kisses and force-feeding me bites of her Cheerios, and Aaron in the background excitedly playing with his trains, I can't help but be struck by how special my life is. I have two amazingly sweet children, I have a husband and marriage that defy most fairytales, and I have a circle of friends that is truly an extension of my family, and I have an extended family on both sides that is truly a circle of friends. I have always had more than enough--without having too much to appreciate what I have. As busy as I get between work, church, family, and life, I love everything I do. And I have the Gospel in my life and in my home, which not only has contibuted to all the above mentioned blessings, but also helps me keep an eternal perspective whenever life does seem a little overwhelming. I feel very blessed and very grateful. Sorry if I seem to have rambled or if I seem at all braggy in this post, but my heart feels very full today. It really is good to be me. =)

2 comments:

Paul and Hilari Howard-- said...

That was really sweet. Thanks for your friendship and I truly consider you guys my family here in Arizona.

Jaime Rubio said...

Hey Heather,

It is always good to reflect on the wonderful things that we have in our lives instead of the things that aren't what we liked them to be! You are truly blessed! Hopefully, one day, Mario and I will be able to visit you and perhaps be able to have some tikes of our own or adopt them Lord willing! The Northwest is good, but I am jealous of your sunshine! We are still having winter weather with lots of rain and even hail! Brr! Take care and know that you have some friends here are the northwest that care about you! =)!

Jaime